Desk of Contents[Hide][Show]
Think about a world the place youngsters fortunately keep themselves busy and learning whereas doing actions that they love and studying math on the identical time. A spot the place youngsters compete in a pleasant approach by doing athletic actions, artistic video games, and studying books.
Sounds too good to be true, proper?
I’ve all the time heard that necessity is the mom of invention and that is actually true of this Journey Factors thought. Ever had a type of motherhood moments the place each little one wanted one thing on the identical time, one had simply spilled a smoothie in all places and the newborn wanted a diaper change?
I had a type of moments and realized that for the sake of my sanity and the youngsters’ exercise ranges I wanted to have a plan for summer that didn’t contain them watching TV daily.
We reinstitute the system each summer season or over breaks. It places my kids’ natural creative and competitive sides to work for the great of all!
What Are Journey Factors?
We have already got the “Mom I’m Bored Jar” which works rather well however is extra of a assist when they’re already bored. I needed to discover a option to encourage them to discover actions with out becoming bored within the first place.
Briefly, it is a easy system of factors for doing artistic or athletic actions that encourages motion and creative play over TV watching. It additionally has surprisingly lowered the bickering and combating in our home.
The concept for the identify “Journey Factors” got here from my kids’ hiking boots, which they name “Journey Boots” since they put on them for mountain climbing, fort constructing, and different out of doors adventures.
How Journey Factors Work
I sat down with a bit of paper and considered actions I needed my youngsters to do that summer season and assigned a degree worth to every. The youngsters helped me brainstorm and we got here up with an enormous checklist of actions that they get pleasure from (that don’t contain a display screen or a snack). Issues like:
- Using bikes (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Pull-ups = 2 factors every
- Push-ups = 1 level every
- Swimming = (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Drawing (30 minutes) = 5 factors
- Making ready a meal for the household = 20 factors
- Studying a ebook = 5 factors
- Studying a chapter ebook = 20 factors
- Fort-building = 20 factors per hour
- Folding origami (30 minutes) = 10 factors (Nice tutorials in this book)
- Make paper airplanes (30 minutes) = 10 factors (They love this book for ideas)
- Draw with sidewalk chalk (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Learn to a sibling (30 minutes) = 25 factors every
- Do a chore (not on common chore checklist) = 10 factors
- Play Monopoly = 15 factors
- Play Scrabble = 15 factors
- Climb a tree = 5 factors per tree
- Play Battleship = 10 factors
- Play Chess = 10 factors
- Water the crops = 5 factors
- Play Uno = 5 factors
- Play Warfare (card sport) = 10 factors
- Jump rope = 3 factors
- Play Apples to Apples = 10 factors
- Play hopscotch = 2 factors
- Weed backyard (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Play a sport of wiffle ball = 15 factors
- Run across the yard 5 occasions = 10 factors
- Soar on the trampoline for 10 minutes = 3 factors
- Do a puzzle = 20 factors
- Do 25 cartwheels = 10 factors
- Write and mail a letter to mates or household = 10 factors
- Create a scavenger hunt for siblings = 10 factors
- Play Legos (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Get caught doing one thing sudden and type = 50 factors bonus
- Rollerblade outdoors (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Hearken to a historical past podcast = 10 factors
- Watch a TED discuss (from this list) = 10 factors
- Watch/do a lesson from Udemy or Great Courses = 15 factors
I considered about 50 actions that had been price factors and assigned values to every. Then, I made an inventory of enjoyable household actions that might be good objectives for milestone factors. 100 factors would earn a healthy dessert after dinner one evening whereas 1000 factors would earn a bigger reward like a particular exercise, new artwork provides, or a contribution towards one thing they’ve been wanting. (Tip: Use stuff you plan on doing anyway! That is only a enjoyable approach for the youngsters to earn them).
I’ve additionally discovered that the youngsters are excited to be useful round the home once I provide “bonus factors” for doing the issues above and past their normal responsibilities.
After just a few days of utilizing the system, I made a decision to create two separate lists for older youngsters (8+) and youthful ones (7 and below) to match their talent ranges because the youthful youngsters had been being left behind by older youngsters (who may do many extra pull-ups!).
Learn how to Implement Journey Factors
Should you’d like to do this system (and I’d extremely advocate it!), listed here are just a few ideas for getting began:
1. Determine on Actions That Work in Your Dwelling/Yard
Make an inventory of actions you’d like your youngsters to do and break it down by age group if wanted. Work out how a lot every exercise is price within the level system you’d like to make use of and assign a degree worth to every. Be happy to make use of my checklist as a begin!
2. Determine on Rewards
Chances are high that whereas factors are an important motivator, your youngsters received’t be thrilled with simply incomes factors that don’t imply something. Determine on what the factors will permit the youngsters to do or earn and create an inventory of this for the youngsters. We attempt to focus on activities and experiences rather than stuff so our rewards had been actions, however bodily rewards could be nice too particularly if they may assist youngsters be lively or construct a life talent.
Some concepts of fabric rewards that encourage studying:
3. Observe the Factors
I spotted that the system wouldn’t encourage the unbiased artistic time I hoped for if the youngsters needed to examine in with me each time they did an exercise to get the factors. I made a decision to make use of the distinction system (which has labored rather well to date) and get every child a small spiral notebook to trace factors. This fashion, the youngsters observe their factors every day and I simply tally as soon as a day to maintain the operating totals.
I additionally created a chart to assist observe the factors for every exercise. You can download a copy for yourself here.
4. Take pleasure in Watching Your Children Study and Play!
I used to be actually hoping that creating “Journey Factors” would release a few of my time by stopping the refrains of “I’m bored” and “Can we watch a film.” It actually has and I’m positively grateful for that.
I’ve discovered that much more than the free time, I’ve loved watching my youngsters’ creativity soar and the older youngsters play with the youthful ones extra simply since they’ve extra construction and concepts for actions (and since there’s a purpose in thoughts). Additionally, maintaining observe of factors has been a enjoyable and sudden math increase for the little youngsters as I preserve listening to questions like “Does 243 plus 15 equal 258?!” 🙂
Your flip! What are some enjoyable methods you encourage creativity and exercise throughout free time at house?